Masonry construction can be easily defined as the art of fabricating a building with the help of stone, clay, brick, or concrete. It is one of the most basic construction processes where the concrete is poured to reinforce the joining of the material. Construction masonry is very famous for its strong base and aesthetic looks! It is the best way to revamp the place with core strength and a beautified finish. Masonry construction costs entirely depend upon the project, and most of it is highly dependent on the type of masonry you want to use.
There are various types of masonry; some of them are:
- Brick masonry
- Stone masonry
- Concrete block masonry
- Veneer masonry
- Gabion masonry
- Composite masonry
- Reinforced masonry
- Bagged concrete masonry
Every step has its importance, and each one of them crafts a different touch with a variety of materials. This gives a combination of varying strengths that can be used to manufacture masonry with ample support from all materials mentioned above. Typically, these units are laid out with the help of cement mortar which acts as a binding agent and then forms a structure. Layering out masonry is an affordable way of beautifying your walls and floors at an affordable price.
ADVANTAGES OF MASONRY CONSTRUCTION:
Like every other thing and process globally, masonry construction has its pros and cons. This will make it easy to understand that every method has its perks. Here we are discussing all the pros in a straightforward approach:
- Fireplaces are mostly made up of masonry because it is non-combustible. It provides fire protection for the building and all of its residents.
- It is a great way to prevent pests, rotting, weather worries, and natural disasters. You may ask about its resistance, but that is because the entire process is made up of double binding that offers extra protection, even from tornados and hurricanes.
- Construction masonry often opts for its aesthetic look and rustic elegance. Every home with these masonries has its aura. It shows timelessness depending on the material and worker’s expertise.
- The weight and load of masonry might come as a surprise to many. Apart from being highly resistant, it is also durable with the weight it can carry. Its units can increase the thermal mass of a building.
- Masonry buildings are known for their strength, and these buildings have also proven to last a long time than any other building type.
- The usage of masonry increases resale value for its core strength and structure. It also doesn’t rot, where the installation takes its core strength from. Termites are also a significant threat to most homeowners, and these masonry sites prevent that from happening, making the structure impeccably strong.
- Using wood comes at a high price, and this is masonry come to save the day. It is also an excellent method to prevent construction loss in terms of labor.
Masonry construction is one of the best ways to add value and beauty to any construction site. Apart from all the aesthetic reasons, it is an excellent way to upgrade your home and keep it secure.
DISADVANTAGES OF MASONRY CONSTRUCTION:
Nothing in the world comes with just pros because, like everything, masonry has its cons too, which are mentioned below:
- The construction of this method is instead time taking and involves heavy material, which comes with a lot of risks. It includes bricks, stones, and concrete blocks, one of the most common types of masonry base.
- Only special vehicles can carry out the transportation of these stones because traditional vehicles cannot bear such weight. You might have to consider ordering catalogs and rocks and proper conveyance to get the job started.
- The stability of these masonry blocks and stones entirely depends upon the base and foundation of the project. It will only settle on a solid base or start cracking otherwise.
- In case of any disposal, cracks can build, which can cause a significant collapse or accident. These cracks must be immediately repaired to prevent moisture from seeping in and the damage it can cause.
- These activities require a proper climate, and the job cannot be carried out when there is heavy rain or the temperature is extremely cold. The mortar requires a specific time, which can get severely affected by the wet climate.
- The laying and layering of masonry require proper planning and excellence, so only expert-level construction workers are suitable for this job. It takes a lot of time to execute each step, and every project is unique, which is why a lot of particular workforces are essential.
There is no doubt that the application of layering masonry is a difficult task and requires detailed inspection with each step. These complications are essential to consider, and start working on the project accordingly.
LIMITATION OF MASONRY CONSTRUCTION:
Masonry has its problems and limitations, and we cannot conclude them the disadvantages because these are just some factors that come with it. The biggest one has to be it absorbs a lot of moisture and can develop cracks just because of this factor. The color only deteriorates with time, and other extreme weather conditions can cause it to degrade. Frost can damage the surface and decolorize it with the material because masonry has low tensile strength even with high durability.
There is not much data available on masonry and its construction and the ample usage of all its types. All we know is that these projects built so far are successful and last quite a while. It does require a solid foundation. Otherwise, cracking and settlement are common occurrences. It is essential to keep all of these limitations in mind when going for this construction method.
BEST TYPES OF MASONRY AND THEIR USAGE:
Every type has its value and comes in handy with construction and project principles. Here is the list of some of the most common types and their usages:
Bricks are lightweight and do not require much labor attention making this the easiest method to work with. Brick walls are thin and can adhere a much weight when applied with mortar, depending on the structural requirement. The primary cons are that these cannot bear a lot of tension and torsion load, making them prone to seismic damage.
It is a relatively less robust method than concrete and stone masonry in terms of durability and strength. Brick masonry also requires the application of plasterwork for finishing and settlement.
Stone masonry is one of the most vital construction techniques that are durable and weather resistant. All of the benefits come from the natural durability of the material since these stones can cater to an astounding amount of stress, making them resistant to bending and denting. The aesthetic look is all that this method is highly famous for because the rustic touch makes sure that you enjoy all the stone’s textures, sizes, and shapes.
The design possibilities end nowhere, and it only requires a little maintenance. This highly durable method is also thick and heavy, reducing the floor space and offering low flexural strength and seismic resistance. Stone masonry is time-consuming, and only the skilled workers should get their hands on the job because it is also easy to mess up.
Concrete Block Masonry:
Concrete is one of the best materials that offer resistance against almost everything, including pests, mold, and even fire. To achieve the look, you must be able to transport the blocks, which is an expensive method, and the material can be pretty heavy to handle without the right equipment. These blocks are often available in various shapes, sizes, finishes, and colors, making them attractive to the construction site. Concrete block masonry is also excellent for spaces that require proper insulation against heat, sound, and moisture.
The method requires a lot of workforce and core strength along with planning and propagation because steel is one of the most critical building aspects. The prices can vary from place to place, depending on the structure. The repair can come as an expensive amount since these blocks cannot drain themselves and absorb a lot of water, forming cracks.
The methods mentioned above are some of the most common ones: Veneer masonry, Gabion masonry, Composite masonry, Reinforced masonry, and Bagged concrete masonry have their processes pros and cons.
The construction industry is massive and revolves quite a lot around different techniques. Each of these methods is unique, so you must choose a strategy that fits your project and budget. In this case, the best thing to do is consult with a construction professional and discuss the details to achieve your goals. Like all the pros, it is vital to keep the cons in your mind to think long term and make the most benefit from your choice and selection of these construction methods!